Public Works

Public Works related activities such as maintenance of public streets and traffic signs are performed by the Engineering staff.

Canals & Drainage

All canals and related drainage matters are controlled by their respective local drainage districts.

Contacting Your Drainage District

  • For residences east of SW 148th Avenue (Volunteer Road) please contact:
    Central Broward Water Control District (CBWD) –
  • For residences west of SW 148th Avenue (Volunteer Road) please contact:
    South Broward Drainage District (SBDD) –
  • South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) – SFWMD

Other Educational Links

  • Guardrails

    To report a guardrail that requires repair please contact Town Hall. Public Works staff will determine if the guardrail is owned by the Town or by a private owner, and will notify the property owner.

    Road & Traffic Signs Maintenance

    The upkeep of the Town’s roadway, traffic signs and drainage facilities is contracted. Public Works staff oversees the work of the contractor.

    Public or Private Roads

    Most of the streets within our Town are public roads; however, there are a great number of private roads.
    To determine if your road is a public or private road or in need of maintenance, Contact: Philip Chorath at: or 954-343-7441.

    Traffic Control and Street Name Signs

    Stop signs, yield signs, street name signs, etc. are managed by the Town of Southwest Ranches. Please notify the Town if you see a vandalized, stolen and ‘down’ sign within our Town. Traffic Control Signs Contact: Philip Chorath at (954) 343-7441.

    Traffic Signals

    The Town does not operate any traffic signal device. A traffic signal light devise on a County maintained road is operated by the Broward County Traffic Engineering. If you should happen to see a traffic signal out or working improperly, please contact County Traffic Engineering at the number below. Traffic Signals Contact: Broward County Traffic Engineering Phone: (954) 847-2600 Email:

    Traffic Calming / Neighborhood Traffic Calming Program

    Neighborhood residents may request the assistance of the Town of Southwest Ranches to help minimize speeding and cut-through traffic. The goal of the Southwest Ranches Neighborhood Traffic Calming Program is to promote neighborhood “livability” by lessening the negative impacts of traffic in our rural Ranches.

    Section 18-19 of the Town Code of Ordinances provides guidance on traffic calming.  For information on the Neighborhood Traffic Calming Program Please see attached or contact Emily McCord at (954) 343-7453.

    Mail it to:
    Emily McCord
    13400 Griffin Road
    Southwest Ranches, FL 33330

    Fax: (954) 434-1490
    Another form of traffic calming is the Pace Car Program.  Section 19-20 of the Town Code of Ordinances provides more guidance on this program.

    Pace Car – Calming Neighborhood Traffic One Car at a Time

    The Traffic Tamer PACE CAR Program is an exciting citizen-based initiative designed to slow traffic on residential streets without the need for physical barriers. It uses cars to calm cars, simply by encouraging residents to drive the legal speed limit. Drivers observe Florida Statutes by stopping for school buses, pedestrians, animals and equestrian activity. Simple! By pledging to drive as carefully through other neighborhoods as they would like others to drive through their own, drivers can sign on to become a Traffic Tamer PACE CAR.

    Pace Car frequently asked questions

Please be advised that under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone at (954) 434-0008, or in writing at 13400 Griffin Road, Southwest Ranches, FL 33330.

Legal: Disclaimer