Our Code Compliance Department is here to handle any possible zoning code violations or concerns you may have! If you have a question or an issue you would like us to look into, please don't hesitate to contact us. We are here to Preserve Our Rural Lifestyle!
At the direction of the Town Council, Code Compliance Services for the Town are on a reactive basis only. What this means is the Code Compliance Officers do not self initiate cases or proactively patrol the Town, unless a specific code section has been approved by the Council to be proactive or if the violation is a hazard and concern to the life, health, safety, and/or welfare of the community. Any person found to be in violation on a developed property is issued a courtesy correction notice, with a set number of days the person has to correct the violation without being issued a citation and summons to appear in front of the Special Magistrate. The Code Compliance Officers stride to work with the residents and property owners, and assist with information that can help the property owner voluntarily come into compliance, which is the primary goal of the Code Compliance Department. Should the property owner not agree with the violation as cited or not correct the violation within the time prescribed, they would be scheduled to appear at a Code Compliance Hearing and the Special Magistrate would render a decision on the violation and could issue an order specifying a final compliance date and any penalties that may be imposed. You can read further on this process below.
The Code Compliance Department assists residents on a daily basis with information about the Town Code, as well as inspecting those properties seeking to be designated a farm by the Town. The Department also assists other agencies and departments, such as BSO and the Water Management Districts, with investigations that occur within the Town.
Code Compliance Services are provided by Code Services, Inc. Robert Solera is the Chief Code Compliance Officer. He has an office at Town Hall where he can be reached regarding all Code Compliance related concerns.
Click Here to download a copy of the Town's Code Complaint Form. Completed forms may be submitted or mailed to Town Hall, or faxed to (954)434-1490. For more information you may contact Code Compliance by e-mail at email@example.com or by calling (954) 343-7440.
Code Hearings & The Special Magistrate
The Special Magistrate of the Town of Southwest Ranches is created pursuant to state law and has the authority to hear violations of the Town of Southwest Ranches Code of Ordinances and of other codes in effect within the Town of Southwest Ranches . He/She has the authority to and may levy fines of up to $250.00 per day per violation for a first occurrence and up to $500.00 per day per violation for a repeat occurrence for every day the violation existed or remains in existence beyond the date the Special Magistrate sets for compliance. It is the duty of the Special Magistrate to make a determination of whether the violation you have been charged with exists. If a violation does exist, the Special Magistrate will afford you an opportunity to correct the violation and will issue an order saying how long you have to correct the violation and what penalties may be imposed should you fail to correct the violation within the time specified.
When you come before the Special Magistrate, you will have an opportunity to present your case. However, you do have the option of acknowledging that you are in violation. If you do so, you may stipulate that a violation exists and request a time for compliance and ask that the Special Magistrate issue such an order. The Special Magistrate will specify the time for compliance and the fine to be levied if you fail to correct the violation within the time specified.
You may, of course, plea that you are not in violation. The Code Compliance Department will then have the opportunity to present its case. You will have the opportunity to cross-examine anyone who speaks on behalf of the Code Compliance Department or the Town. Following the Department's presentation of its case, you will have the opportunity to present your case, and the Department may, if it chooses, cross-examine you or any of your witnesses. Members of the public are also permitted to speak and you or the Department may cross-examine any member of the public who speaks. After all evidence has been presented to the Special Magistrate, he/she will then make his/her finding as to whether a violation exists. If the Special Magistrate finds that a violation does exist, he/she will set a time for you to correct the violation, and will advise you of the fine that will be levied if you fail to correct the violation within that time. The fines which are set by the Special Magistrate will become a lien on your property until the violations are corrected and the penalties assessed are settled.
Special Magistrate Hearings
This calendar is subject to change upon proper notice. Agendas for each hearing may be viewed by clicking on the corresponding dates below:
- April 8, 2008: Agenda
- May 13, 2008: Agenda
- June 10, 2008: Agenda / Minutes
- July 8, 2008: Agenda / Minutes
- August 20, 2008: Agenda / Minutes
- September 9, 2008 : Agenda / Minutes
- October 14, 2008: Agenda / Minutes
- November 4, 2008: Agenda / Minutes
- December 9, 2008: Agenda / Minutes
- January 13, 2009: Agenda / Minutes
- February 10, 2009: Agenda / Minutes
- March 24, 2009: Agenda / Minutes
- March 25, 2009 (Special Hearing): Agenda / Minutes
- April 14, 2009: Agenda / Minutes
- May 12, 2009: Agenda / Minutes
- June 2, 2009: Agenda/ Minutes
- July 7, 2009: Agenda/ Minutes
- August 11, 2009: Agenda/Minutes
- September 1, 2009: Agenda/Minutes
- October 6, 2009: Agenda/Minutes
- November 9, 2009: Agenda/Minutes
- December 1, 2009: Agenda / Minutes
- January 5, 2010: Agenda / Minutes
- February 2, 2010: Agenda/Minutes
- March 2, 2010: Agenda/Minutes
- April 6, 2010: Agenda/ Minutes
- May 4, 2010: Agenda / Minutes
- June 1, 2010: Agenda / Minutes
- July 6, 2010: Agenda / Minutes
- August 3, 2010: Agenda/Minutes
- September 7, 2010: Agenda/Minutes
- October 5, 2010: Agenda/Minutes
- November 2, 2010: Agenda/Minutes
- December 7, 2010: Agenda / Minutes
- January 4, 2011: Agenda / Minutes
- February 1, 2011: Agenda / Minutes
- March 1, 2011: Agenda / Minutes
- April 5, 2011: Agenda / Minutes
- May 3, 2011: Agenda / Minutes
- June 7, 2011: Agenda / Minutes
- July 5, 2011: Agenda / Minutes
- August 2, 2011: Agenda/ Minutes
- September 6, 2011: Agenda/ Minutes
- October 4, 2011: Agenda / Minutes
- November 1, 2011: Agenda / Minutes
- January 3, 2012: Agenda / Minutes
- February 7, 2012: Agenda / Minutes
- March 6, 2012: Agenda / Minutes
- April 3, 2012: Agenda / Minutes
- May 1, 2012: Agenda / Minutes
- June 5, 2012: Agenda / Minutes
- July 3, 2012: Agenda / Minutes
- September 4, 2012: Agenda / Minutes
- October 2, 2012: Agenda / Minutes
- November 6, 2012: Agenda / Minutes
- December 4, 2012: Agenda / Minutes
- January 8, 2013: Agenda / Minutes
- February 5, 2013: Agenda / Minutes
- March 8, 2013: Agenda / Minutes
- April 5, 2013: Agenda / Minutes
- May 7, 2013: Agenda /Minutes
Please be advised that under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone at (954) 434-0008, or in writing at 13400 Griffin Road, Southwest Ranches, FL 33330.